Sunday 7 November 2010

DJing as a woman

I was out Dj'ing last night and what a good night it was. A really good turn out for the club in general and, armed with a new laptop, a relatively stress free gig from the technical side for me.

Outside of the day job I have a few jobs and businesses and over the last few months I been trying to present as a woman in these. The DJ'ing and regular club work being a major area for this.

Now it's still not quite there yet, as there are so many people who have known me for years and I might only see them once or twice a year. So, they are finding out that I am transitioning at quite a slow rate.

But last night felt like a break through. Just about every one referred to me with the correct pronouns. My favourite was when I was at the bar and was asked if I was the DJ. I said yes and that I would be starting at about 10. The women turned to her partner and said, 'See, I told you it was the DJ. She normally wears her hair up'.

It was then that I realised that there were people that I don't really know but who think of me as female. I think I might have reached a wee milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment