Wednesday 3 November 2010

Manchester

We've been away for a few days in Manchester. Now it might not seem the first choice for a break in November but it was handy for family and child minding.

During the weekend we'd renewed our vows in front of family and a few close friends. This was really nice and we did it in a wee church, close to where Mrs J grew up in the Lancashire countryside. It was a great day and a great mix of guests.

After this we headed for Manchester for a few days by ourselves.

Now we've been to Manchester a few times but it's always been for something specific. If truth be told, mostly Club Lash or years ago we even had a stall at a fetish market. However, I've never actually been to the Village. So on this time we decided it was time to do the tourist thing and visit Canal Street.

We got into Manchester at about lunch time, Monday and once we got settled into our hotel we decided to find Canal Street. Now I didn't expect to find a party, after all it was a rainy, November day in Manchester. However, I've got to admit, when we got there it looked a bit on the wrong side of a let down.

Dirty pavements and stinking drains and all more than a bit drab. As I said though Monday, raining and November. None of this helps.

Back at our hotel and never ones to be put off by first impressions, I looked up a few places to visit. We wanted a meal and somewhere good for a relaxed drink.

Now, I know neither of the choices we went for are exactly ground breaking but as newbies to the area we were more than happy.

First of we went to Taurus for something to eat. It was great. Very friendly, good food and very reasonably priced. After Taurus we went for a short walk and stopped for a drink in Churchill's, which was, as they say, a bit of a punt. Now maybe we picked the wrong time but it was everything I don't want from a bar. Not exactly friendly and awaiting a different atmosphere, which would probably come later at night as the alcohol flowed.

We drank up quickly and headed back up the road to Velvet, another venue that I'd read good reports about.

I've got to say I wasn't disappointed. We went to the bar and it is lovely inside. Music at a nice level for talking, really comfy and again very friendly staff. we spent a bit of time in Velvet and then headed back to our own hotel for a final drink and bed.

We liked it so much that on our second night we just went to velvet and had a meal as well as staying for a drink. Well, it was especially wet and horrid outside that night!

Now, I'll admit to being nervous beforehand about the trip to Manchester. It was outside my comfort zone and certainly the first time I'd travelled and been any serious distance away from home, whilst presenting female. As I stepped out from the hotel door, into a very busy street, for a few seconds, it was as if it was one of the first times I'd ever worn women's clothes in public.

It was as if anonymity, rather than allowing me the ability to blend into the background had somehow made me stick out like a sore thumb.

However, 5 seconds of standing, waiting for the green man, made me realise that people were far more interested in getting home or going out for the evening. After that I was back to normal. I was more nervous of going into a restaurant I'd never been to after that.

Now I go through life thinking that everyone thinks I am a man but are just too polite to say anything. However, on this trip, the amount of times I got greeted with the word 'ladies' got me to thinking that I'm doing something right. Even on our last morning, when I was tired and had only pulled a pair of jeans and t-shirt on we still got greeted with 'ladies'.

At the end of this trip I am much more comfortable with myself. It was outside of my usual comfort zone. I dressed the way I normally do during the day and I was still, for the most part, greeted as a woman.

I am not the typical, svelte, slim person who I'd normally associate with that kind of reception but for some reason, whatever it is I'm doing seems to be working.

Most of all we had a great weekend. Renewing our vows was a special thing and a fantastic day. The trip to Manchester was a really nice break too, and we are planning a return trip next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment