Tuesday 25 January 2011

Speech Therapy - Part Two

Well I have been for a few sessions now and it seems to be going quite well. Today was the fourth session and seemed to go really well.

I think the thing that surprises me most is how sore and tired your voice gets. When you think about it you are getting a set of muscles to do something different. If it happened in the gym you wouldn't think twice about it but when it comes to voice I've been a bit surprised.

I'd read in many places about not damaging the voice. I thought this meant getting hoarse and if you weren't careful developing nodules. However, this is different. It is a genuine tiredness of the muscles.

I've been practicing reading small phrases and when I tried to do more natural phrases my pitch would gradually lower as I paused to think between sentences. The way around this was to extend words like 'and' between the actual sentences. This allows me to keep the pitch so that when I start to speak again the pitch is roughly the same.

My homework for the next week is to try phrases that are natural to me (rather than read out) and I think it is time to try them on people. Of all the things that I've done as my transition continues, this, for me has definitely been the most fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment