Sunday 22 August 2010

Long day

Have you ever looked at a hole being dug in the road and there is one bloke digging and four watching? Well I've had a day a bit like that today.

Into a server room for 10am (Sunday!). There was a big systems update on servers to be done. Now I do databases and applications so the system level was being done by some other people. For the first 3 hours we all worked at our own things and it was fine. Then came the time to switch all the servers off, allowing one person access. For the next 4 hours I either paced the server room or watch a tiny laptop screen over someone else's shoulder, waiting for the servers to come back, letting me get on with my bit. The wonder of mobile phones, I'll admit that I did a fair bit of reading forums like Angels or catching up on blogs during this wait.

It really was the high tech version of 4 people watching 1 bloke dig.

I got my own back though. Once the servers came back, I spent the next 2 hours working on database and web servers while he waited around with nothing to do.

Anyway, finally finished at 11:30pm, although by that point I had actually come home and logged in remotely to finish the job off.

It's all in the bill - even the standing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment