Sunday 20 February 2011

My Bike's the Wrong Shape

Weather and time have plotted against me and any chance of taking my new bike out for a proper run since I got it. This might be a problem.

In approximately 6 weeks time I'm going to take part in a 30 mile bike run. Today, I finally got a chance to ride my gleaming new bike. It is a beautiful bike. Certainly the most expensive one I've ever bought and described in cycling weekly as the best entry level sportive bike you can buy.

The problem though is me. I've ridden mountain bikes exclusively for nearly 15 years. Drop handle bars are an alien concept to me now, and as for changing gears with the break levers! I got down during a downhill and felt as though I was hanging off the front of the bike. I remember when this was fun. Now it felt more like acrobatics!

It's going to take a few more rides before I'm completely comfortable with the bike but it will be worth it. Once I settled on it (and got out of the head wind) it flew. It needs a few little things tweaked but these are very minor.

The tweaking I need is way more than minor! The main thing this ride proved was how unfit I am still. Back to the gym tonight and on to the bike again as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment